Salvage Wreck Cutting MSC Thesis
- Koninklijke Boskalis Westminster N.V.
- Branche / Vakgebied
- Vereiste taal
Hoe jij het verschil kunt maken
Boskalis aims to get a more solid basis for comparison of the different wreck cutting concepts available in the market. This would allow us to assess the best tool for the job at hand, resulting in the most effective wreck removal. Your work will help Boskalis to be competitive in the salvage market; it is all about finding the right (economic) combination of resources and techniques.
The development of innovative ideas starts at Boskalis’ Research & Development department. Innovation is crucial to retaining our position as a leading maritime services provider. Together with your co-workers at the R&D department you will work for the salvage division, providing solutions to wide-ranging problems. A relevant project is the wreck removal of the Baltic Ace car carrier in 2014. The Baltic Ace sank in 2012 after a collision with a container ship near the entrance of the main shipping lane leading to Rotterdam port. The activities included the removal of the entire wreck, its cargo of 1,400 cars and 540,000 liters of heavy fuel oil and lubricants.
As an intern at the R&D department, you will be part of the team which is responsible for continually investing in the development of new methods and technologies to make our work more sustainable, efficient and effective.
Your responsibilities as an intern, working on the Salvage Wreck Cutting MSc Thesis:
- Delve deeper into and improve the current cutting methods used on wrecks. Think of questions like: How does a piece of steel collapse when you cut, slice or tear it? What are the governing failure models? How much power and force is needed for an efficient process? What is decisive for the best tool for the job?
- Scale validation tests in the Boskalis lab situated at the Boskalis headquarters in Papendrecht or at our yard in Capelle aan de IJssel.
Wat je meebrengt
You can make your mark as an intern Salvage Wreck Cutting MSc Thesis if you are/have:
- A university student in Mechanical Engineering (e.g., specialization in Materials), Marine Engineering or similar.
- Enrolled for an Academic University Program within the Netherlands, throughout the duration of your internship.
- Available per September for a period of approximately 5 to 9 months.
- Open mindset to conduct both theoretical and practical research; not afraid to get greasy hands.
- Affinity with the marine industry and/or salvage operations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and FEM analysis.
- A professional attitude, as well as an entrepreneurial and team player spirit.
- Good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together.
Wat je kunt verwachten
- Money and more: Besides internship compensation you will get a great deal of responsibility.
- The Boskalis campus: Boskalis is located in Papendrecht, where all our disciplines come together on-campus. Covid-19 affects the way we work and therefore we can’t make use of the benefits of our campus. As soon as we can access the campus again, you will discover the benefits.
- Young Boskalis: This is a platform created for and by the Young Boskalis generation. The Young Boskalis Board focus is to represent young employees and look after their integration into the Boskalis family across the various divisions. Young Boskalis organizes various online activities such as yoga, bootcamp, a bingo, pub quiz and project or vessel visits.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your online onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs of Boskalis!
- Your team: You will become part of the Research and Development team. This is a team working on a wide range of innovations. For your project you will also work closely with salvage experts to get insider information on wreck cutting.
- Where you will work: You will carry out your assignment working from home, collaborating via Microsoft Teams. As soon as the situation allows, your location will be our campus in Papendrecht.
- Fulltime/ part time job: The position of intern Salvage Wreck Cutting MSc Thesis is fulltime (40 hours a week).
- Procedure: Application is easy. All you need to do to apply for a job is complete the online application form and send it to us along with your CV and cover letter. As soon as you have sent your application you will receive an email to confirm receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your junk folder. It is not possible to apply via email, the contact form or regular mail. Depending on the job we will invite you for one or more interviews via Microsoft Teams. After successfully completing all the steps in the procedure we warmly welcome you to our organization.
Wil je meer weten?
We are more than happy to answer your questions about the position of Salvage Wreck Cutting MSc Thesis within the Boskalis Research & Development team. Please, get in touch with the Ana de Diego y Lubberts, Young Talent Desk, via +317 86968566.
Interested? Please apply here by filling in your details and by uploading your cover letter and CV on our careers site before the 9th of June 2021. Share in your motivation letter why you would be the best fit for this position within Boskalis.